Highlighter pens are essential tools for marking important text, but a highlighter stain on your clothes can be a real nuisance. The good news is that you can remove highlighter stains from your garments with the right methods and a little effort. This article will guide you through the most effective techniques for stain removal, depending on the type of fabric and the nature of the highlighter ink.
Understanding the Challenge
Highlighter ink can vary in composition, including water-based, alcohol-based, gel-based, permanent, or non-permanent inks. Different fabrics also react differently to stain removal methods, so the success of stain removal may vary.
Things You’ll Need
Before you start the stain removal process, gather the following materials:
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Small Bowl
- Sponge/Rag/Clean Cloth
- Paper Towel
- Laundry Detergent
- Warm Water
- Cotton Ball/Cotton Swab
- Other Stain Remover
Using Rubbing Alcohol to Remove Highlighter
Rubbing alcohol is a versatile household cleaning product that can effectively remove highlighter stains from clothing. Follow these steps:
- Begin by placing a clean paper towel on a flat surface, with the stained area facing down. Gently press a cotton ball over the stain to blot excess ink.
- Pour a generous amount of rubbing alcohol into a small bowl. Dab a sponge or cloth in the alcohol and apply it around the stained area (not directly on the stain) to prevent spreading.
- Soak the sponge or cloth in rubbing alcohol again and dab it directly over the highlighter stain. The goal is to transfer the ink into the paper towel underneath. Replace the paper towel if it becomes soaked.
- Once the stain is no longer visible, wash the garment with laundry detergent using warm water. Air-dry the clothing to complete the process.
Relying on Stain Remover – A Quick Solution
If you don’t have rubbing alcohol on hand, you can use a stain remover as an alternative. Make sure to read the instructions on the label as different removers may have specific usage guidelines.
Amodex is a reliable stain remover that can be used for removing highlighter stains from clothing. Follow these steps:
- Apply a small amount of Amodex to the stain, ensuring the fabric is dry.
- Use a brush to rub the stain in a circular motion until it disappears.
- Wash the garment with liquid detergent and warm water.
- Air-dry the clothing.
Word of Caution
- Avoid using bar soap on stains, as it may set the stain deeper into the fabric.
- Do not use rubbing alcohol on silk or wool fabrics, as it can damage or discolor them.
- Use warm water instead of hot water to prevent damage to certain fabric types.
- Start the removal process as soon as possible while the stain is still fresh for better results.
How to Remove Highlighter Stains Using Lemon Juice?
Lemon juice can be used to remove highlighter stains, especially from paper and some fabrics. It acts as a natural bleach due to its acidity. Apply lemon juice with a cotton swab to the highlighted area, but be cautious not to use too much, especially on paper, as it may damage the pages.
Does Highlighter Wash Out of Clothes?
Highlighter ink will not simply wash out of clothes; you need to follow a stain removal process before washing the garment with detergent.
Does Rubbing Alcohol Bleach Clothes?
Rubbing alcohol is not as harsh as traditional bleach but can act as a mild bleach. Before using it on a garment, test a small, hidden area to ensure it won’t damage or discolor the fabric.
How to Remove Highlighter from Plastic?
Highlighter stains on non-porous surfaces like plastic can be removed by applying lemon juice with a cotton ball. Toothpaste can also be effective. Rub gently to remove the stain without scrubbing.
Preventing highlighter stains on your clothes is the best approach, but accidents happen. By following the effective stain removal techniques mentioned in this article, you can restore your garments to their former glory. Remember to act promptly and choose the method that best suits the fabric and highlighter ink in question. With a little care and effort, your clothing will be stain-free once again.